Monday, January 03, 2005

Plight of the Modern Worker

For several months now we've been down a person at work. We used to have somebody who did nothing but clean mattresses and pumps. He did a good job, and since we deal in mattresses that are run by pumps, he did an important job as well.

As it happened, he managed to get sick a lot. Corporate policy says that if you get sick waaay beyond your allotted sick days, you get fired. He did. As a result, my boss comes in at 5am everyday to clean mattresses before doing the rest of his responsibilities. He leaves at 5pm. Even with 12 hour days and me helping out when I can, we still just barely keep up.

So we were all very happy when the new guy started today. The new guys stated goal on his application: "To some day be as helpful to as many people as possible." Helpful is good.

So I took him to one of the facilities we go to on a regular basis. I explained some things and we did a pickup, during which he hit his head on one of the hospital TVs next to all the beds. After the pickup we went back to the depot and we went to lunch. Me to subway, and he to home. I came back, he didn't. He explained to my boss on the phone that when he hit his head on the little TV, he knew the job wasn't for him.

He lasted 3.5 hours. It's not the most exciting job ever, but seriously, 3.5 hours? I HATED working at metal shop guy's shop, but I lasted 3 days.

The facility we went to was a rehabilitation facility. He didn't even have to see any dead people. Wuss.

Does anyone know of anyone who is drug free, has a good driving record, and wants to drive around some and clean mattresses some? Anyone? Hello?

No comments: